The ICU Registered Nurse position provides professional and technical skills to ensure the safety, comfort, personal hygiene and the protection of Adolescent, Adult and Elderly patients in the provision of patient care. This position supports the Mission of the Hospital through the provision of distinctive and compassionate care to our patients.
- Current California RN license
- Must have current BLS for healthcare providers upon hire.
- Must be CPI certified and ACLS card within 30 days of employment.
- One-year previous clinical experience in critical care nursing in an acute care facility preferred.
- Must possess excellent assessment skills, knowledge of ventilators, hemodynamics vasopressor drips, and EGK monitoring.
- Ability to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age group served on the unit. Knowledge of growth and development over the life span. Must be able to speak, read and write in English.
Prolonged, extensive, walking/standing. Lifts, positions, pushes and/or transfers patient's 50-75 lbs. Considerable reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling and crouching. Hand manipulation, both fine and gross dexterity is required for writing and technical skills.
Frequent exposure to noise, cold and heat. Occasional exposure to blood-borne pathogens, chemicals, general cleaning chemicals.
MAJOR TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* General Staff Accountabilities
- Employee's conduct conforms to the Mission, Vision, Values, and Code of Conduct of College Medical Center.
- Values individual differences and demonstrates sensitivity to the cultural needs of others.
- Respects the rights, privacy and property of others, and maintains strict confidentiality.
- Effectively protects all health information from unauthorized access per HIPAA regulations and all applicable local and state laws.
- Exhibits good attendance and punctuality.
- Provides appropriate notice prior to vacation/time off and notifies supervisor a minimum of two hours prior to shift when unable to come to work.
- Observes allotted break and meal periods as prescribed by Hospital Policy and follows time card procedures by accurately writing in and out.
- Attends to personal affairs to avoid any interference with productivity.
- Adheres to the Dress Code.
- Demonstrates an understanding of their personal role in the case of fire/disaster and participates in Performance Improvement activities.
- Functions with an awareness of patient safety issues and applies basic principles of safety as identified within the facility.
- Follows the occurrence reporting policy and procedure in reporting any potential safety issues.
* Job Specific Accountabilities
Provides Direct Patient Care to a Specified Patient Population.
Coordinates Patient Care utilizing the Nursing Process: Assessment
- Appropriately manages the care of medical and surgical patients during the critical phase of the disease and/or recovery process.
- Reviews patient history, diagnostic data and physician orders/notes prior to interviewing patient/family/significant other.
- Collects data by interviewing patient, family/significant other within specified time frame.
- Performs biophysical assessment within specified time frame.
- Assess educational level, learning needs, preferred teaching methods and barriers to learning.
- Assesses and monitors hemodynamic changes and reports abnormal diagnostic data and/or changes in patient's condition to physician in a timely manner.
- Analyzes patient data, identifies and prioritizes patient needs.
Coordinates Patient Care Utilizing the Nursing Process: Planning
- Collaborates with the patient/family/significant other and other disciplines, as appropriate, to develop an individualized written plan of care based on the prioritized needs identified in the assessment process.
Coordinates Patient Care Utilizing the Nursing Process: Implementation
- Communicates the written plan of care, and changes to the plan, to patient/family/significant other and other members of the health care team through the report process and other methods as appropriate.
- Updates / revises the written plan of care as patient needs are resolved and/or as patient condition changes.
- Reviews and implements physician orders accurately and timely.
- Performs basic nursing procedures, specific unit based nursing procedures and/or standardized procedures safely, accurately and efficiently per policy and procedure.
- Recognizes life threatening patient complications and/or situations and responds immediately by initiating and participating in emergency procedures within scope of practice.
- Administers the right medication, in the right dose to the right patient in the appropriate route and on time, 100% of the time.
- Administers titrated I.V. medications accurately 100% of the time.
- Consider knowledge deficits, barriers to learning and appropriate teaching methods in performing patient teaching.
- Collaborates with other disciplines to assure the plan of care is implemented in a coordinated manner to avoid time constraints and assure an uninterrupted treatment plan.
Coordinates Patient Care Utilizing the Nursing Process: Evaluation
- Evaluates effectiveness and patient response to treatments, procedures and medications. Provides alternative interventions as needed and reevaluates.
- Monitors patient behavior to evaluate effectiveness of patient teaching provided.
- Participates in monitoring patient outcomes (short term and/or long term) to evaluate effectiveness of care provided and to identify organizational performance improvement opportunities.
Demonstrates the Ability to Perform as a Professional Nurse
- Understands the legal aspects of nursing and the importance of accurate and timely documentation according to standards and policy and procedures.
- Successfully completes core and unit specific competencies annually.
- Maintains knowledge and skills in clinical specialty through success completion of a minimum 8 C.E.U.'s annually, attendance at seminar, reading and reporting on a professional journal article and/or attending in-service education functions.
- Performs all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Demonstrates age appropriate care for integration across the life span.
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to unique needs of varying age groups with whom she/he has contact.
- Recognizes and responds to safety factors for age level involved.
* Customer Service
- Exhibits behavior that is courteous, compassionate, polite, friendly, and respectful towards patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers and extends self to make patients, visitors, clinical staff, and peers feel welcome and respected.